Menu

Walnut Creek, CA
Computer Club of Rossmoor

Confusion on Cloud Storage

• 06/12/2021 7:33 AM
    Message # 10622913

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the cloud storage sites - Microsoft, Icloud, Google etc.  

Microsoft keeps popping up on my computer wanting to set up cloud storage

Apple Icloud storage charges me $0.99 a month to expand my storage (I use my photos for that)

Then Google storage charges me a per year fee and if I don’t pay keeps telling I might not get my emails if my “storage” fills up.

I would appreciate if someone could explain this all to me.  I don’t think I need 3 different cloud storage.

Thanks

• 07/02/2021 6:31 AM
    Reply # 10720798 on 10622913
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

I would suggest you go to Bill Hammond’s Drop-in Tech Support session on Thursdays at 4pm. Check the events tab of our website for the Zoom link. I’m sure he would be happy to answer your questions. 

Last modified: 08/15/2021 9:23 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 12/07/2021 10:05 AM
    Reply # 12174957 on 10622913
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Jenny, did you ever come in to talk with Bill?  Choosing the right cloud depends a lot on your personal needs. Come in on Tuesday mornings if you still need help.

• 01/07/2022 8:20 AM
    Reply # 12247232 on 10622913

Was there any advice submitted for this question? I am needing cloud storage because I have 2 computers and need to share files.

I found this comparison https://www.tomsguide.com/buying-guide/best-cloud-storage which leans toward iDrive, and cost wise it sounds good. Does anyone have experience with it?

I like Dropbox because it so easy but I ran out of space already on the free version.  Who else has a cloud storage product they like?

• 05/17/2022 9:06 AM
    Reply # 12783619 on 10622913

I did go in to the Computer Center but I totally forgotten Bill's Name - DUH!  

I did ask the volunteers there but I guess I didn't present my question clearly because I received numerous responses and the sense I got was it dependent on my needs and usage but I only really needed to use one system. Due to my husband's medical issues I haven't had a chance to drop back by the Center again.

After much thought I decided to no longer use DropBox.  It was great when I was working and everyone had access to it (companies provided and paid for it) and knew how to use it.  Now that I'm retired, I discovered the majority of my friends and relatives either don't have access to it (and don't want to downloaded or pay for it) and/or didn't know how to use DropBox.  

As time permits, I'm trying to figure out my other options because I like to streamline my system instead of using multiple

I love to hear other people's recommendations/responses/comments on this topic.